Making fresh salsa is quick and easy. I made this salsa in less than 10 minutes. This salsa fresca is more of a pico de gallo–a common condiment used in Mexico. There’s no real recipe, just basic ingredients mixed to your liking.
I was making taquitos but needed something fresh to compliment the deep fried crunch. I’m used to making large batches of salsas for parties. But I only need a single serving this time. I hate wasting food, so I decided to make a quick salsa for one.
Salsa Fresca (Pico de Gallo)
- 1 Tomato Chopped 1/4-1/2 inch
- 1/4 White Onion Chopped 1/4-1/2 inch. Red Onion can also be used
- 1/2 Jalapeño Finely Diced. Use more of less depending on how spicy you like it.
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro Rough Chopped
- 1/2 Lime Juiced
- 1 Tsp. Olive Oil (Optional) Extra Virgin
- Salt to taste
- Mix tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro in bowl.
- Add a squeeze of lime (if you don't have lime, you can use lemon). Salt to taste.
- Optional: This isn't traditional, but you can add a drizzle of olive oil. This is a personal preference.
- Toss and refrigerate for at least half and hour so the flavors can blend.
How to Eat Salsa
Enjoy with your favorite Mexican food; tacos, burritos, tostadas. Pico de gallo is also delicious on scrambled eggs and omelettes for breakfast. You can also use it to dip tortilla chips.