Growing up, beets were often on the dinner table. But they were usually pickled beets. One day after seeing them at the farmers’ market, I decided to buy some for a beet side dish. So with some mandarins and ginger, I added a little zing to my roasted root veggies. I developed this recipe for Mandarin Ginger Roasted Beets. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Mandarin Ginger Roasted Beets
- 3 Medium Beets Washed, Peeled and Cut into quarters/sixths
- ½ Red Onion Chopped into small pieces
- 1 Mandarin Orange Substitute any type of orange or tangerine
- 1 Tsp Ginger Fresh is preffered. Chopped very fine.
- 1 Tsp Butter Softened
- ½ Tsp Chile Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
- Wash, peel, chop beets into quarters/sixths depending on how large your beets are. Dice onion into small pieces. Chop fresh ginger very fine. Mix with remaining ingredients in large bowl.
- Add zest of 1/2 madarin orange. Now peel orange and squeeze all the juice out of the flesh and add remaining flesh to bowl. Mix in.
- Put all ingredients in small, shallow roasting pan.
- Cook at 350 for 40-60 min. Stirring and basting beets in juice every 10-15 minutes.