Mexican Hot Chocolate Popcorn is a blend of some of my favorite flavors. It came about when I was talking to my friend about developing recipes for gourmet popcorn. He suggested “Hot Cocoa Popcorn”. It sounded good to me! So, the next day, I got started on developing the recipe…with a Mexican twist.
This recipe for Mexican Hot Chocolate Popcorn is a crowd pleaser for kids and adults alike. Kick it up a little with a pinch of chile powder. That, of course, is optional. I like to serve the popcorn in a clear cup with with sides of the cup drizzled with chocolate syrup. Finally, fill the cup with popcorn and top with more syrup and marshmallow bits. You’re sure to be hot-n-poppin’ with this recipe.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Popcorn
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chile Powder optional
- 1/2 cup Popcorn Kernels
- 1 tablespoon Oil I use Coconut or Peanut
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Marshmallow Bits
- Combine all popcorn topping ingredients in a bowl. Pop your popcorn on the stove-top using a heavy pot or the Whirley Pop.
- Immediately add hot popcorn to dry ingredients; toss the add-ins while coating all the popcorn.
- Serve in a cup topped with chocolate syrup and marshmallow bits.
Popping Popcorn with the Whirley Pop
I love using my Whirley Pop to pop my popcorn on the stove top. It’s quick and easy and never burns and pops almost all the kernels. I used to do it in heavy pot on stove top, but it would sometimes scorch and leave many kernels un-popped. So I highly recommend the Whirley Pop.